Saturday 17 August 2013

Are you too busy?

Have you ever been in situations where you are trying to understand a very important topic/task or responsibility and someone is disturbing? Either he/she is playing loud music or talking or just hitting on your attention somehow? Or when you are really pressed for time and trying to do useful work in available time and your phone rings? Or you get notified that you have an email? Or a Whatsapp message?



Well, you are not alone. I have this issue too and because I tend to withdraw from association and communication whenever I have work to do, people have passed comments. They have called me "Most Busy", "You work too much" and said "Are you the only one that has work to do?" etc.

There's also the problem of too much information (information pollution). The internet and social media make it difficult to concentrate. You keep reading blogs, status updates, tweets, news posts, youtube videos, emails etc but yet you feel inadequate. Like you are not up to date or not good enough..yet.




"The ability to concentrate is golden". Not many persons seem to understand and appreciate the value of being able to focus on a particular task and getting it done at the expected time. This is a virtue that seem to be the backbone of many successful people in various industries today. Due to my previous habit of always being available and always saying "YES", I was known as a "late comer" by some and one that doesn't keep to time. I started solving this problem recently by tracing my errors to the long list of "YES" I have said and communication loops I had gotten entangled in. I was worried that when I say "NO I can't do that for you now" I would disappoint someone (always putting myself in their shoes the wrong way). Not until I was reminded by a friend that "You can't be everything to everyone". I have be told this a lot but not until yesterday did i take it seriously. It's ok to help when you can, but when you cannot or it's not ok for you to do so, just say NO nicely. If you can defer the responsibility to someone else, fine. If not, a NO it is.

Don't put yourself in a tight corner. Take up responsibilities one by one. Finish up. Take another. Repeat this circle and you would be fine. That is what inspires success and makes you efficient. Do away with distractions when you have stuff to do. There's time for everything.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment